Monday, April 30, 2012

Getting to know SSR member Kim Schaffer



Since the Striders and Riders is a multisport club, what do you consider yourself athletically?

I am fairly non-competitive SSR member who enjoys running daily, with longer runs of 8-12 miles once or more a month. I also enjoy riding my 23 year old mountain bike on hilly, non-technical and very wide dirt roads. Swimming is a challenge, but it does feel good when I am not drowning. Hiking is a priority in the summer.

What is your athletic background?

I have been a runner for over 30 years. In elementary and high school, I was always the last pick for the ball teams and I did not enjoy the embarrassment of having no coordination, so I stuck to hiking with the family. In college I ran a mile for my first time and thought I was going to die. After I learned to pace myself and built up some stamina. I realized I enjoyed getting out either on my own or with friends. Running empowered me. I tried other aerobic exercises, but nothing (besides hiking and sometimes biking) have the same positive results that running gives me). I've only raced one marathon and one pretty tough mountain run, because I just don't like the night before jitters. Becoming a volunteer coach for the High School Cross Country team this past fall has inspired me tremendously as I see the team members welcome competition. Group Stretches, warm ups and cool downs as well as speed workouts and hill repeats have all added a new challenge and social dimension to my running for which I am very grateful.

On average, can you describe a typical training week for you?

I usually run 4 times a week for 3 – 5 miles with my friend Addy early in the morning and then try a long run on Saturday or Sunday with Julie or other members of our womens' relay team, Las Ragnaritas.

What advice would you give to anyone struggling to find time to work out?

Mornings, Mornings, Mornings. This has been the only way to keep a routine for me. When the alarm goes off, I don't even give myself a chance to think about going out or not, I get up and go knowing that the first 10 minutes are the hardest, but after that, I feel great knowing I am in control of making it happen. Also knowing my friend is out there waiting for me helps a lot.

Do you have a favorite race and why?

I like the Kelly Run that takes place during the Magdalena Old Timers. I usually do pretty well, because it's a small race! Oh yes, the pancakes after are yummy too!

What is your favorite workout and why?

Hmmm. Running up really long hill in the desert or mountains.

Where is your favorite place/route/trail to workout in Socorro or the surrounding area?

The Quebradas, Box Canyon, Spook Canyon or Johnson Hill and beyond.

Do you have a can't-live-without training aid?

No. Just need good shoes.

What athletic goals do you have in mind of 2012?


To climb some 14er this summer Hopefully to help out with Cross Country and Celebrate my 50th birthday with some kind of really cool adventurous run.


What do you like to do when you're not being athletic?

Golf (Believe me, it's not athletic when I do it) Chatting with my first graders is always fun as well.

And now for a speed round...


Last song you purchased: Pumped up Kicks (Foster the People)

Last movie you watched: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Last book you read: Water for Elephants
Beer or wine: Corona with a lime
Buckhorn or the Owl: Buckhorn! Blue Mondays Yeah!
Favorite tv show: Colbert Report on Comedy Central
Desired super power: Time Stopper

Hollywood crush: Tweety from Bugs Bunny and a very respectable crush on Tom Hanks (he's such a nice guy)






No comments: